Monday, August 10, 2009

Treat yourself. Going to the movies alone.

The other day I found myself in a conversation about movies (typical, right?). I was simply talking to an acquaintance about what movie she had seen when she admitted that she held off on seeing it sooner because she "would never go to the movies by herself" therefore she had to wait for a friend to go with.

This got me thinking...I go to movies by myself all the time.

There are two kinds of movie-goers. There are the ones that will never go to a film alone and then the ones that brave the theater solo. I am in the latter category and I find it necessary to try to remove the stigma that comes with attending a theater by yourself.

There is this fear of going to a theater alone. It is often considered "sad" or even "pathetic" to go to the theater by yourself. Like the girl I talked to, there was a tone of resentful pity in her voice. A theater isn't actually scary, nothing will happen to you and fingers will not be pointed in your direction, as if you are something to scoff at. Really it is this projected fear of what people might think of you. Maybe it's just me, but I don't pity the person sitting alone in a theater, they want to see the same movie that I want to.

I understand that conventionally, going to the movies is supposed to be an event. It used to be the premiere thing to do on a Friday night, the perfect date. But with so many films, ranging from the latest chick flick, to the indie drama to the post-apocalyptic war film there are just too many films to see-how do you come to decision with so many different tastes?

This is not to say that when I want to go see a film that I don't ask anybody. No, I don't only go to movies by myself. There are some movies that call for an audience of friends- "My Bloody Valentine 3D" would be a perfect example, it is something to laugh about and when you get uncomfortable you can grab onto a friendly arm. But if I really want to see a movie and no one can go with me, I gather myself and get to a local theater. There is also something about viewing a movie with no one around you that you are connected to, it becomes personal between you and the film. It is not something that can necessarily be explained, you just have to experience it for yourself.

All I can really say is don't knock it until you have tried it. Believe me, it's not as painful or "sad" as you may think. Really, how often do you watch movies by yourself at home? Do you consider that embarrassing? So why not break with convention? Do something crazy. Do something for yourself, by yourself. I now challenge the first group of movie goers- go sit in a theater and become a different kind of viewer. You might just enjoy yourself.

3 comments:

mss bumb said...

i really enjoyed that entry of yours.I believe that this insecurity of people is really wider.Seeing a film by yourself is the simplest thing,people are actually scared or even ashamed of going out by themselves generally!
i personally believe this is complete crap.If you want to see a film you just dont see it because your party wants to see another obvious blockbuster?to sum up i find this pathetic and not going to a film alone.I really enjoyed myself when i went to see a danish movie about world war II by myself!

John said...

i was just thinking about doing this today. you convinced me. because no one else is gonna watch 'in the loop' with me. i'm gonna go tonight.

Anonymous said...

Well put Movie Monster. I'm constantly selling the solo movie experience to anyone that'll listen. There is something so soothing and meditative about rolling solo, in addition to all the other great reasons for taking in a flick at the theater. The enormous screen, the great sound, the total darkness that truly puts your complete focus on the film, comfy chairs, and on and on. My favorite time to roll solo is typically a weekday afternoon. It's not only a great way to beat the summer heat, but often times you find that you have the entire theater to yourself (this occurs mostly at the second run or independent theaters, however -- ie. beverly center, Laemmle's Sunset 5). And if you're feeling really ambitious and risky, you might as well stay in and watch a second movie for free -- double features baby! For double features, I'll typically take in a movie that I would ordinarily wait for the dvd (GI Joe, Julia & Julia, etc). But with free refills at the Grove, you can get a small coke and be good for hours. Double feature goers beware: it defeats the purpose of going to a double feature to save money if you park in a garage that charges you $12 for being in there for 4-6 hours. I recommend riding a bike to your favorite theater (and remember, the multi-level theaters are good about not coordinating movies for poor double feature goers, so pick a theater that are all one level and not too small where it's obvious).
I'm also not opposed to going at night or even a weekend night where it's actually quite rare to see other loner movie-goers (though having recently been in a relationship, it's sorta fallen off the to-do list). But being single in Los Angeles, especially when I had just moved here and didn't know a soul, that was one of my favorite things to do.
So lighten up everyone, it doesn't make you a loser to watch movies by yourself... just gay.