Monday, January 25, 2010

Sundance.



As many of you know, I am hiking the the hill (Main Street, that is) of Park City and covering both Sundance and Slamdance film festival. This is my second year and I can't wait to make this a yearly excursion.

This has been a dream of mine since I had first realized that I loved films. This little dream of mine has become more complicated with time and revisions had been made to the original idea. Not only did I want to get to participate in Sundance/Slamdance, but I wanted to be paid to go. I wanted these trips to be because of my job and this year I did it again. Not only am I covering both festivals for press, but I get to scout for films to bring to Newport. It's pretty awesome.

With that being said, already coming back for my second year I feel that I have removed the "I can't believe I'm at Sundance" glaze and been able to really hit the streets with confidence. It is an exciting festival this year, with a theme of "rebel" and the idea that they are really returning to the independent cinema. Whether or not they are actually doing that (the films I have seen thus far make it true) it already seems to have a different feel to it.

To prove it, the reviews coming out of Sundance are all praising the smaller budget, non talent heavy films. Look up reviews from "Waiting for Superman", a documentary backed by Bill Gates that has been all the rage here. Phillip Seymour Hoffman's directorial debut "Jack Goes Boating" is the major star-studded film that people are liking. That is besides "Howl" and "Get Low"- both films that will surely see the light of distribution.

As for Slamdance, I just love it up there. When I say "up there" I am referring to the two tiny screening rooms that are erected in an Inn, located on the very top of the Main Street hill. It is a trek to get up there, but worth it. The filmmakers and films at this festival (now in its 16th year) are the independents of the "indie film" category. Here Christopher Nolan got his start and films like "Paranormal Activity" were picked up. And this year, I have not yet been let down-the production value of all of the films are phenomenal and the writing is spot-on. I will have reviews up of these films soon.

I know that this is not much of an update, but there is not a lot of time between screenings and social events to write. The photo above is of Banksy artwork on the streets of Park City...there is a documentary on Banksy premiering here, "Exit Through the Gift Shop", and my ticket is for Wednesday. I'll let you know how it is.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can't wait foR some reviews. Are you going to go see the animal collective film? It's called ODDSAC and I think it premiers on the 28th. Keep it coming friend. :)