Saturday, November 14, 2009

Too emotional for you?

The other day, I was telling a friend of mine that I was going to watch the movie "Precious: Based on the novel PUSH by Sapphire" and how I was very excited, being that it has been getting a lot of great publicity. She only responded with "I don't want to see that movie, it will just make me too sad."

Once this was said, I noticed that in one version or another this sentence has been flying around in conversation whenever "Precious" comes up. Since when were people afraid to feel anything in a movie? Granted the subject matter is difficult, but it is not something that people should shy away from; they should see it and form an opinion of their own, perhaps they might even feel something.

I understand the audiences that will not attend horror films. That is a genre unto itself that deliberately provokes fear in the viewer. Sometimes that fear causes a little too much stress on its audience and it no longer becomes entertaining. Like a roller coaster ride, you either like them or you don't.

But "Precious" isn't a roller coaster, just a tough drama. What is the fear of? Being caught with puffy eyes in public ... Not having a tissue on hand...No significant other's shoulder to cry on...
Were people also afraid to see "Schindler's List" , I saw it although the subject matter is horrifying. "Hotel Rwanda" was a tough film to sit through and what about "Boys Don't Cry"? Did people shy away from these films too?

I love being moved in a film. The dark theater and fellow patrons cocoon me and my thoughts with the images on screen. For two hours you can connect, remember and even laugh or cry because of characters that you have just met. Since when are people afraid to become too sad? Cinema's gift is release.

"Precious" deals with tough subject matter, but this film looks like it will take one of the ten nominated slots for Best Picture at the Academy Awards, perhaps even take home Oscar. Ask yourself, would you go see it now, if it were nominated?

I admit that I cried during one of the final scenes of "Precious", the acting is so powerful, it grabs the audience in such a profound way that I was moved to tears. Everyone around me was sniffling throughout the entire film as well; together as an audience we connected with the film. No one I know regretted seeing "Precious", so ask yourself if you are too scared to feel something or are you willing to get on the ride?

1 comment:

meL said...

You're right. And at first I was thinking, maybe those people don't want to cry in public, so rent it? But I think I'd almost rather get really emotional in the theater and leave it there. Right? I think so. I think I will. :) Thanks Amanda!